Sunday, January 31, 2010

Exercise

I've been exercising all month, and not only that - but counting calories too! It all started when I downloaded a calorie counter on my iPod... Counting calories is pretty easy when I have a database of nutritional facts at my finger tips. No carrying a notebook around, writing everything down... That's too hard, and time consuming. I can just click (or touch) a food and double check the nutritional facts then save it to a meal. Easy as pie.

One thing I've learned is, it's not terribly hard to eat good food. And by good food I mean healthy food. Another thing I've learned is eating terrible food is REALLY REALLY EASY. haha! For instance, at burger king if you get a grilled chicken sandwich (no mayo) and a small order of french fries - that's over 700 calories. That's about half the calories my body uses to run. CRAZY. The first or second week I was counting calories, we went to Cold Stone Creamery. It's an AMAZING ice cream shop, and a sweet taste of home. Well, I ordered a mudpie mojo - it's coffee ice cream, peanut butter, some chocolate and other yummy things. I would say I got about 2/3 a cup of ice cream, and online the nutritional facts said that little amount of ice cream had over 1000 calories. Wow! 1000 calories?!? Was that really worth it? Not to me...

Since I've been counting calories and trying to exercise, I've lost about 3 pounds. I'm not impressed. But, if weight loss was easy - everyone would be their correct size. I do feel stronger, and my clothes fit slightly more loose, but I still wish I was smaller. I don't think I'm fat really, I just want to be comfortable in my skin and right now I'm not. I don't feel comfortable in the clothes I used to wear, and my jeans are fitting differently. I would like to blame being in Japan, but I don't think that's why. I think I would have gained 15 pounds in my first year of marriage even if I was back in Iowa. In fact, knowing me and my habits - I'm positive I would have. haha. I might have gained more because I occasionally go on day long walks around Tokyo.

Mike has been losing weight too, only he's actually successful. I can't remember when he started losing, but it was back in december or even before that. In January he's lost about 6 pounds. His goal is to be 190 or smaller - he wants 6 pack abs... I don't need to be that toned. I don't care if I have so little fat that you can see the muscles in my stomach, I just want my belly button to not be a cave anymore. haha =) I haven't had any kids (obviously) so there's no excuse for having a belly like I do.

Wanna hear something a lady asked me at the gym? It's fueling my fire to get thinner.

"So how long has it been since your last child?"

Can you believe it!?!?! The time is now. I WILL NOT be mistaken for a new mother. Or an mother with several children. I'm 21. Come on...

1 comment:

  1. Eating healthy is definitely a challenge. John has been eating properly since December like Mike has. He has lost ~15-20 pounds. He just found out his blood sugar is really high. We go to the doc Friday to discuss his findings. He will probably need to be on medication,so encourage Mike to continue his exercise and tight weight range control as his close family history includes diabetes. I am trying, as well, and it is so much harder for women to lose weight compared to men it seems. Keep up the good work, Jess, and keep writing your amazing blogs.
    Laura and John A.

    ReplyDelete