It's the eve of Christmas Eve and there's so much to do. While the house was spotless on Sunday, now it's Wednesday and clutter is beginning to build. Tomorrow we're having company over for dinner and games (maybe the 2nd or 3rd time we've had people over to our place EVER) I feel like I should be doing something to get ready for that. Grocery shop maybe? We're out of sandwich meat. Like Our guests are really going to eat sandwich meat! But really, I should go shopping. We're having Chili and Red Potato Soup. Chili is easy, but I've never made this potato soup. I think I should make it in the morning while my mom back home is still awake and can walk me through her recipe!
Also, It's officially winter. The 21st is the first day of winter, and yet it's still not too cold. I thought it was the other day when I walked the dog, but I only needed sweatpants and a sweatshirt (no coat or gloves). Yesterday I bought some earmuffs hoping I would need them later in the season. I've learned that if I walk the dog during the day, preferably late morning, then it's not cold. It MIGHT be mid 40s. The other day I took her on a walk at 7:45pm and boy was that a mistake! It's COLD when the sun goes down. Well, by cold I mean in the 30s with a light breeze. Anyway, it was enough to make my nose wish it was covered. Cheeky wore her new coat to keep warm, but her ears were still cold. I need to research to see if they have doggie earmuffs. I love earmuffs.
Last night at youth group I felt old. It was odd, because I never feel old - I'm only 21! But those darn Junior High kids made me feel old. You see, every night before youth group starts we play a game. I figured because it was the 22nd, we'd play Christmas charades. Chaplain Dashner and myself made a list of Christmas characters they had to act out for their team to guess. Characters like Bob Cratchet, Tiny Tim, Scrooge, the abominable Snowman, Herbie the elf dentist, and Clarice (Rudolph's girlfriend). Even the three wise men were in there. If you'd believe it, the kids at youth group don't watch A Christmas Carol, Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, and other Christmas Classics. Each time a Junior Higher picked a name, they had to walk into the hallway so we could explain who Bob Cratchet was, who Herbie the elf dentist was, who the abominable Snowman was! Literally, every one of those listed above had to be explained. Even how to act out THE THREE WISE MEN! It blew me away.
Looking back, instead of using Clarice or Bob Cratchet I should have used Papa Elf, or Buddy the Elf, or Cindy Lou Who... Characters from Christmas movies released in the past 4 years. These kids are 11-14 years old, and they are military kids so they don't get TBS which devotes half the month of december to these Christmas specials. Unless they watch the channel with Bob the Builder they aren't going to see those antiqued Christmas shows that were created in 1964. I was born in 1988 - but these movies were my parent's favorite so we watched them every year. Oddly enough, it wasn't until this year that I realized each "movie" was only 30 mins long. The old Grinch who stole Christmas is 25 mins long. Charlie Brown Christmas is 30 mins long. I can't remember the length of Rudolph's "movie" but it can't be more than an hour. That's pushing it.
Mike says that many people our age (20-25) haven't seen those great old Christmas tv specials. Let me hear you - do you know who Clarice is? What animal the king of the island of misfit toys is? Who is the Winter Warlock? Mr. Heat Miser or Mr. Cold Miser?
sigh.
Clarice was a stretch for me but I knew it was a lion that was the king of the IoMT. THe Winter Warlock - well i didn't like that movie but knew who he was. Kids should see these movies...and probably will...eventually. The fact that they didn't get Scrooge/Christmas Carol References would bother me, but the Grinch I guess is a huge classic, for everyone...And I guess I am now in my late 20's so I don't count as your age group...but I am disappointed in your army brats!
ReplyDeleteI make the kids hang out and watch the oldies with me. I bought the short classic ones I remember watching and the kids like them... but your right, not many parent's probably do that anymore. Kids are different now "to busy to watch old shows"
ReplyDelete