This Christmas was a good Christmas in the gift category. I got an iPod Touch, a new bike (with a bell, AND a basket, AND a light, AND a lock. Pretty sweet), and a lot of other things that made my day. I could list them, but what's the point? The point of Christmas isn't to receive gifts, or even give gifts. It's about remembering the birth of Christ. I don't feel like I did that this year. Like, at all. We didn't go to the Christmas Eve service, we didn't do a lesson on the birth of Jesus at youth group, we didn't read Luke 2 before opening presents (just now remembered that tradition that my parents instilled in me...)
While I do enjoy the things I received, and I've been tinkering and creating glee with them, I still feel like that extra piece of the puzzle is missing. That relationship with my Savior part. It's something to work on - maybe New Years resolution? But I feel like that's silly, why should I need to make a resolution to change? Why can't I just change on my own? I guess I don't want to make that commitment just because this is the time of year to do so - it should be something that comes from the heart, not another tradition we carry on every New Year.
I don't think 2010 will be too much different than any other year, and yet I still hope it is a good one. Haha, as if this year wasn't good. That's not true! This year has been very special to me. I started the year as a new wife, searching for answers on our trip to Japan and wondering about my new future with Mike. We moved to Japan in March smoothly, and began to make our space feel like home. That goal is nearly accomplished, there are still a few things missing in our home but I couldn't tell you what exactly they are. =) We've settled into the community here on base and have made several awesome friendships on the way. It's hard to believe we've been here for 9 months now! It seems like both nothing and everything has happened in that time period. haha
Well, I've accomplished my goal of blogging more this month! Perhaps I can keep up the habit in 2010 as well. =) I've got one more thing on my list before the year ends (in only a few short days) A Christmas letter. Mike and I wrote one together, and it's been sitting on our computer desktop for about a week and a half now. =/ whoops!
New Years letter anyone? haha. Post your address if you would like one.
send letter to johna@cctexas.com
ReplyDelete