Remember last January, when I wrote about getting on the "fit wagon" and losing weight, getting healthy?
HA! Like a week after I wrote that blog, I fell off the wagon. Actually, it was more of a hop of the wagon. I had decided I was done counting calories because it was a pain in the butt. I was tired of measuring and I was fairly confident that I could guess my way around losing weight. Well, because I wasn't counting calories, I didn't feel the need to track my exercise. Because I didn't feel the need to track it, it didn't happen. And here I am, a month and a half later - the same weight I was when I hopped off that wagon.
I would like to say "YEAH! Good job Jess. Same weight. Didn't gain" But honestly - I've probably gained some. I've probably lost some of the muscles I had built up by running, walking, rowing - whatever. I've continued eating crud (at least lately) and I can feel it in my energy levels! I'm back to feeling yucky, not sick but certainly not fit. Too much sugar, too much fat, not NEARLY enough veggies or fruit.
So, instead of getting back on the wagon - I'm going to walk beside the wagon. Before, I was all about counting calories - aiming for over a pound a week (not more than 2). This time, I'm going to conciously eat more veggies, but not deprave myself. I'm going to have dessert or ice cream, but in moderation. I might track the sugary stuff, but just so I can actually have it in moderation. Otherwise my mind tells me
"3 bowls of ice cream is moderation!"
"Of course you can have a cupcake, you'll just skip some ice cream"
"Huh? what cupcake? You didn't eat the frosting - this is the same calories as that yucky frosting..."
"Taco Bell isn't THAT bad for you... right? There's lettuce. That's healthy"
Silly me. I know the above statements are dumb. But I do what I want. So anyway - yes, I should track the desserts and fried food. More veggies. Veggies at every meal (besides breakfast. That's what enriched cereal is for, right?)
Here is goes. Maybe I'll hit the gym today. Or at least go for a long long walk. The dog will love me for it.
that's the whole thing.
ReplyDeletethat's why diets never work.
because it's a lifestyle change, not diets.
and counting calories gets frustrating and being completely restrictive gets to be impossible. you just change small things at a time.
we used to say at work to our patients, "if your breakfast consists of 5 snickers, throw in an apple. then slowly add more apples and take away your snickers. even if you're down to 1 snickers but 4 apples, you've still made so much progress!"
you should try the kale chips i listed in my last blog. its in the words "THREE NEW RECIPES" and i think its the link under three. or check out www.smittenkitchen.com it's not the "healthiest" of foods at time, but they do have so many good recipes that are healthy. it's kind of my go to place. :)
good luck!