Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Weird Dog

Our dog Cheeky isn't like every other dog.

She doesn't bark or growl. Actually, I think Mike taught her to growl! Whenever he would play with her, he would growl and now she does only when she's REALLY into playing with you. But I've never EVER heard the dog bark. That's not to say she doesn't make noise - no, she'll cry when she sees a dog being walked through our patio window. She'll sigh if Mike and I are ignoring her while making dinner. She'll squeak when she yawns, sometimes. She yelps when she feels threatened by another dog... That's all normal.

Also, she'd rather sit on the top of couches than the floor or on the cushions - much like a cat likes high places, this dog likes high places. And she doesn't chew on anything or get into trash like a normal dog... No, she'd rather sit on the couch with you and chill, or follow you around the house as you clean. Only if you leave her alone in the house will she chew on anything, and even then it's more like drag shoes around by their laces. Not destroy property. Maybe we've trained her to be this way? If you only look back in the history, I talked about how awful this dog was. How she ate books and scissors and paper... I don't know. Whatever we did, or she's done, I like it. =)

One thing that I think I did to mess her up was her routine. Every night for a long time, I would take her out to potty before bed. Well, one night I asked Mike to do it - and she wouldn't go for him. I took her shortly after she got back with Mike and she would piddle shortly after being outside. This has happened several times now... Maybe she's nervous to piddle with Mike? Maybe when I go out with her she knows what's she's supposed to do? I don't know, but it was a mistake. That's my job now - take the dog out every night. Bummer.

One of her quirky little habits is looking at us through our full length mirror. Sometimes after a haircut, you can tell she doesn't like her new do because she can see herself in the mirror. Sounds odd, but it's true! She'll mope around the house for a day or two if she doesn't like it! The mirror is in the bedroom, and she's only allowed on the bed if she's invited. So, she'll stand facing the mirror and either look at herself or look at us reading on the bed. It's so odd! The real dog is focused on the mirror, but her reflection is focused 100% on you!


Weird dog.

1 comment:

  1. dogs are totally weird. i just got my dog a minty bacon dental teether bone.. and she won't even sniff it. i had to put peanut butter on it just so she'd lick it and she's completely ignored it.

    and now i hear she's digging holes in the back yard.. hrmmm.

    ReplyDelete