Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Technology Overload

I know what you're thinking... "Jess, you're never on the computer! Otherwise we'd get to read more blogs!"

haha, well - unfortunately, you're wrong. I'm on some sort of technology pretty much all day. If it's not using the computer for email, it's facebook, if not facebook, then it's reading blogs, if it's not blogs, then it's watching tv on hulu.com! HOURS go by without me knowing because I'm stuffing my face with useless information. Even when I'm away from home and the computer, I've got my iPod Touch that I can whip out and mess with.

This is a habit I'm not proud of. In fact, I waste a lot of time that I could be doing other things everyday because of this habit. If you're a prayerful person - you could pray that I would find the strength to let technology go more often and have the same need for Jesus that I have for technology now. What a better place I'd be in if that were the case!

Maybe I should take a step like my sister Danielle took, a technology fast. She's said goodbye to facebook and is somewhat limiting internet access for herself. She's made resolutions to be more crafty, to pray more, to have a closer walk with God. What am I saying?!? MAYBE I should?!? If I'm posting a public blog about my addiction to Technology, then I definitely should.


hm. More on that later. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength - even be disconnected from in the internet for awhile. hm.

4 comments:

  1. You can do it! It's hard at first, I know. I would actually get home, sit in my chair in my room, and mope about the fact that I couldn't be on the internet. "following" the rule, but very legalistically. The point wasn't to not be on the internet, the point was to use my time better. My life is better without all that stuff I used to waste time.

    You should go to instructables.com. I found a TON of projects I'd like to do eventually. It consumes a lot of time initially (looking for things to do), but you end up with a lot of cool projects that you feel very accomplished about doing.

    Also, you should read "The Life You've Always Wanted". I can send you my book when I'm done. Great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i get that way a lot.. especially now that i'm reading the twilight series. for the first time through all four books i couldn't put it down and i was staying up all hours and such.. and then i was like "...i've never done this with the Bible. Jesus has never been this captivating to me." and i got SUPER convicted. and then i realized i did the same with the internet, facebook, tv... i've made so many other things much higher priorities than God. and MAN! it's hard to switch! but that's what you do when you love someone.

    i try to think of Jesus as my husband. i'd hate to be neglecting my husband because of facebook. or twilight. that'd be a crap relationship, eh? so that's been helping a little.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah... I remember that blog of yours! The thing is, I DO neglect my real husband with facebook, and crap like that. I'll promise him I'll clean the kitchen, or wash his uniforms, or pick up the dry cleaning. All these things put together don't take up an hour of my time! And yet, it took me 3 days to do a load of laundry. A full week to pick up the dry cleaning. Which is why I'm thinking a technology fast wouldn't be a bad thing at all.


    I say as I'm on the internet. =S

    ReplyDelete
  4. the only thing is, just like God is filled with grace and forgiveness - my husband loves me anyway. Even though he gets frustrated, he'll hug and kiss me and I'll apologize and we'll try to go on like nothing is wrong.

    I'm spoiled rotten.

    ReplyDelete