Wednesday, March 18, 2009

7 days

My passport came Monday afternoon, and I got upset. Suddenly, the reality of me actually leaving Iowa set in and it scared me so much. I love being home with my family, and I love visiting Mike's family - everyone is so much fun! My family all gave me hugs and told me everything would be fine - and I believed them. =)

Tuesday, Mike called Offut Air Force Base in Omaha to arrange plane tickets for me. The guy he talked to got me on the same flight to Tokyo as Mike, leaving on the 25th. It's so weird to me that I'll be gone, out of the country in 7 short days... I've got so many people to call, to talk to, to hug... It's going to be a hard week. On the bright side, I'm leaving with Mike! He'll fly down to Dallas early morning on the 25th, and I"ll fly to Dallas at 1:00 in the afternoon. We'll then fly to Seattle together, spend the night and get up before the sun to board a plane for Tokyo.

On Thursday, the movers come to pack up all our stuff. Mike and I can both take 2 bags 50lbs each. I don't know what to pack... we might not have our stuff for a long while! I'm pretty sure something won't get packed or something that shouldn't have been packed will get packed. I'm living at my parent's house so my stuff and my parent's stuff is jumbled together in some places.

I'm not 100% sure what will happen once we get to Tokyo... I assume someone from the Yokota AFB will be there to pick us up and take us to our new "home". We'll be staying in Temporary Housing until housing is assigned to us. Once housing is assigned, we're given loaner furniture that we can use for 90 days. I'm assuming we can use the furniture for 90 days because it could take that long for our stuff to get delivered to base. =s That's why it's so hard to pack! It could be hot and sticky, so sweaters aren't needed... but then it's spring so it could be chilly still. I might need nice work clothes if I get a job or go in for an interview... is 100 lbs of stuff a lot? I'm so frazzled.

So much to do - so little time... Less than 200 hours until I leave the country. =(

1 comment:

  1. have i mentioned how jealous i am that you're moving to japan? i've always wanted to go, i've started to learn the language, i love the fashion, i love the food (mostly), i love the people, i love anime, i love lots of japan.

    so so jealous.
    you'll do all that i want to do, and you'll learn the language way faster than i am.
    so you'll have to be nice and teach me.
    in the mean time, you should learn this song, 'cause it's cute.

    tsukurimashou, tsukurimashou, sate sate nani ga dekiru ka na. hai! takimashita!

    (it's a song from my favorite character chiyo-chan from a good show called azumanga daioh.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reJFCM632jU

    ReplyDelete